Casal Sta Maria Malvasia White Wine
Bright greenish color with golden highlights. Slight floral aromas typical from the variety, notes of anise and tangerine, fresh and vibrant expressing well the wild terroir where it grows. Immediate sensation of freshness and acidity, notes of orange and tangerine in compote, long after taste, with the typical sensation of saltiness predominant of the regions of Colares.
WINEMAKING: Jorge Rosa Santos and António Figueiredo.
VINEYARDS: Grapes picked from the original vineyards planted in 2006 by Baron Bodo von Bruemmer, located in Casal Sta. Maria, near Praia da Adraga and in Galamares, all with distinctive characteristics between them.
YEAR: Compared to the previous two years, 2020 ended up being more within the normal range expected for this region. Regarding precipitation, it reached values in the order of 600mm, with the month of April having the greatest representation. As for the temperature, the monthly average never exceeded 20ºC. It should be noted that the month of August was especially noteworthy, due to the intense fog that was noted, with only 3 days of sunshine throughout the month.
VINIFICATION: Vineyards are planted in hard soil (chão rijo) and not the typical sand soil. Intentional late harvest, to allow the development of the whole aromatic component of Malvasia. 100% of skin maceration for 6-8 hours. Slight crushing of the berries followed by a gentle cold pressing. 70% of production with fermentation in stainless steel vats, followed by aging on fine lees and bâtonnage until April. The remaining 30% of production with fermentation in used French oak barrels, on fine lees and bâtonnage also until April.